Monday, May 23, 2011

Woody Allen

I love Woody Allen films. And I love that I can pretty much bank on the fact that every year, usually in the summer, I will be sitting in a theater watching Woody's newest film.

And this year is exciting - Midnight in Paris looks great. The thing is whenever Woody Allen makes a really good film there are always a slew of reviews that say something like "Woody's best work since Crimes and Misdemeanor's" - which apparently every single critic thinks was his last great film, and some clear line of demarcation.

The problem with the narrative, which is starting to pop up again, is not simply that it's boring and reductive; it's that this is the 3rd time the same argument has been made since 2005 when Allen made Match Point. Then in 2008 with Vicky Christina Barcelona it happened again.

I feel about Woody Allen the same way I feel about the Coen Brothers: I'll take their mediocre work over much of what else passes for good in Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment