Tuesday, July 26, 2011

On Friendship

There is truly no greater concept, if that's even the appropriate term, than friendship- the ever evolving negotiation between two people concerning how they shall take up space together.

I've said very little about Facebook or Google+ because I think most everything has been said by others. However, today I got a friend request from a local hospital. A goddamn building wants to be my friend. I just sat staring at the screen, confused. This has to be a sign of something, but I must admit, I have no idea of what.

I don't mind social media. I regularly read a couple blogs and I really enjoy the interaction. However, I also share Jaron Lanier's concern that a lot of our media asks for a tradeoff that is bordering on too heavy. We give up a lot in the way of privacy - if one is worried about that sort of thing. But what do we get in return? I never know what a good visit to Facebook would entail. I do, however, know what a good visit to a blog would entail.

This always comes back to the same question to me: how important is a body in social interaction. Obviously, I'm writing this on a forum hoping both people I do and don't know in the physical world will read it. I see no problem in responding to a person I've never met. However, there is perhaps some tipping point where a concept as valuable and special as friendship gets reduced to the point where now buildings have friends

No comments:

Post a Comment