Monday, October 17, 2011

On the Joy of Interpretation

I travel a lot in order to play music and one of my favorite activities is to read signs and billboards. But I like to read them in particular ways; I like them to become strange. This brings me joy.

Here are a couple of examples of recent roadside entertainments: "Young Interiors." Now I believe this was some kind of interior decorating shop and I'm assuming "young" is meant to indicate that they do work that is hip. However, the sign just seems dirty to me. And what's hilarious is that it completely transforms my understanding of what an "interior decorator" might be.

"God Says Thou Shalt Not Kill." This sign had a picture of a rather large fetus. Well it was large for a fetus, or possibly small for a child depending on your stance on abortion. Anyhow, the sign is pretty obvious in its intentions. But what brought me joy is that this sign occurs right when one enters Fayeteville, NC, which is the home of Fort Bragg, which is part of the Giant Organized Death-Dealing establishment. So yeah, this is basic-level irony on one hand, but on the other hand it reveals a fissure in whose life is thought to be sacred and whose life is ready, on-hand for sacrifice.

Finally, my favorite - on the deservedly defunct Ham's billboard - the Ham's has been closed for many months - the sign reads "Friday Night Walrus." The possibilities here seem pretty limitless. I feel like it must be the first time those three words have ever been put in that order. I've also decided that Friday Night Walrus could be a pretty solid name for an indie rock band.

The joy of interpretation - it don't cost nothing. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I missed this the first time around wile subsumed beneath pre-birtday sulkery, but I feel this deserves a comment.

    I,too, play this game, and I have 6 words for you: 'We Proudly Serve Boar's Head Products'.

    I find it takes on many excitingly different dimensions depending upon which word[s] one emphasises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone from one of my classes had this phrase: "I never said she stole my money." The sentence has about 7 different meanings depending on which word you emphasize. But it's not quite as icky as "Head Products."

    ReplyDelete