Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Why I Love Pawn Stars

So when I was trying to name my blog I did it quickly - a bit too quickly. There's puns that I get but that aren't obvious, mostly concerning the word "matter." I am the opposite of a Romantic in many ways - they believed reality exists first and foremost in the mind. I believe the world moves from the outside in. Well, it's not that simple. There's certainly a negotiation between the outside and the inside. One side doesn't necessary have precedence; rather, one has been forgotten and I wish to help that.

Pawn Stars is all about objects. People bring in these wonderfully cool, weird, obscure objects and these objects immediately conjure an entire world. Somebody brings in a straight jacket used by Houdini and all of a sudden the entire audience is transported, moved through a time machine. Often people bring in old war relics. These relics move the audience to a period that I honestly usually don't care much about. I just am not that in to Civil War stuff - just a personal taste thing. But when I see these guys firing a gun that was used in the Civil War I am enthused. I did grow up shooting guns, so I can enjoy things going boom.

Also, I regularly see people bringing in signatures. Perhaps somebody has a Jimi Hendrix autographed poster or something such as this. And then I immediately have to think about the weirdness - seriously the utter strangeness of one's name. How can writing one's name produce wealth? What does the signature mean. It seems to imply a body and in doing so it becomes valuable and this is both weird and crazy and wonderful. So there's my first television plug. Maybe I should write more about The Wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment